Sunday, February 27, 2011

The End of Week Eight

Royal Library
Royal Library

Is it till cold here?  Yes
Is the wind still blowing here?  Yes
Has it really been like that for four months?  Three and a half.
Do we still like being in Denmark? Yes!  Yes!  Yes!
We continue to remind ourselves that there is more to being here than cold and wind.

On our walks this week we selected a few interesting architectural landmarks.  While standing in the six floor high foyer of the Danish National Bank, getting ready to take a photo of the beautiful staircase, the guard informed us that we could not take photos within the bank.  “Didn’t we know that it was not allowed to take photos in any bank in the whole world, no matter how prominent its architecture is?”  We didn’t; however, we copied a photo of the foyer from the banks website back at the apartment.  We also visited and took photos of the train station at the end of one of the “S” trains, and the Royal Library which we were also able to photograph.  Most of these walks were indoors in order to stay out of the wind and cold as much as possible.
Royal Library

Speaking of the wind:  I made an interesting discovery.  As some of you have heard my story of a missionary companion I once had who would, as we bicycled to and from, always be behind me instead of along my side.  Many times he would miss the light and would be caught across the street from me.  Then he would yell from across the street, “Elder Larsen! Elder Larsen!  This, of course, would get the attention of everyone on the street.
“Oh those Mormon missionaries again”.  I again have a companion who frequently likes to walk behind me.  I asked why she would rather be behind me than along my side.  She said she liked the way I blocked the cold wind from hitting her.  So that’s what I’m good for: a windscreen.  She doesn’t yell “Elder Larsen”, however.
Høje Taatrup Train Station

In closing, I have another confession to make besides using three bank photos that didn’t originate with me.  I have copied several back-and-forth e-mail conversations that we were privileged to see because our e-mail address is part of a family category grouping of other e-mails.  These conversations, that were had by our daughters, are evidence of blessings which we have received from two promises:  Our family will be blessed while we are on our mission, and we will “have joy in our posterity”.  As we read them, it brought us to tears, to know how close our family is.
Høje Taastrup Train Station

Quotes:
“Hey girls.  I’m still basking in the glow of my sisters night.  The shower was so much fun.  Yummy, yummy food, adorable art project, fantastic gifts and the best company.  I feel blessed to have such wonderful siblings.  You all put so much effort into the whole evening, I appreciate it so much.  And I’ll absolutely treasure the ABC book.  It’s turning out so great – I can’t wait to see the final product.
"Thank you . . . for hosting and for all of the work you and . . . have put into the book. 
Thank you for all of the sweet, sweet gifts and the homemade cuteness that will soon make their way to the “keepsake box”. :o)
Love you all!”
Can't Be Photographed

“I had a great time as well, I always have a great time when we are together..
“We are incredibly blessed to be part of such an awesome family, and then to live close to each other that we can play often.
“You all make the most perfect friends!!!”

“You ladies are my favorite people!
Thanks for being you.”

“Thanks again . . . and . . . it was a fun night. I am truly lucky to have such great sisters- in-law.”

“Thank you so much for letting us celebrate with you. I had a wonderful time and am still SO TIRED.”

Can't Be Photographed

In case you don’t know our daughters (including Teresa), I hope this will give you just a glimpse of their real beauty and their joy in “being there for each other”.

Can't Be Photographed

Mom and Dad
Elder and Sister Larsen



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you weren't arrested for taking pictures in a bank. I didn't know that wasn't allowed either. Those buildings really are beautiful.
    The shower was so much fun. It was mentioned a few times through the night how it would have been better if you were there too. We all know what a blessing it is to have you out serving The Lord, but we will still be very happy when you are back home too.
    We will be scanning the ABC book when it is done, so you'll get to see how cute it is before it goes in the keepsake box.
    We love & miss you,
    Lissy

    ReplyDelete