Thursday, December 15, 2011

Happy Patient Learning Patience

Not a view from Denmark to Sweden from my hospital room
Proof that I'm happy

I waited on this writing so I could give a report of my experience at the hospital.  I have had a little time to reflect and want to say there is much good in the Danish Health Care system.  I think the negative comments I have made in the past have more to do with politics and the Danish mentality than with Medical Practitioners.   It’s important to understand that their education and training are excellent.  If the politicians hadn’t stirred the pot, the results would be better.

I reported at the hospital on Monday at 8:30 am for evaluations.  They took my blood pressure, then took some blood, gave me an EKG, took my temperature, listened to my lungs and felt my feet and ankles.  I spent fifteen minutes with the anesthesiologist where I thought I could have a choice of complete unconsciousness or deadening from the waist down; however, he was quick to let me know they only use epidural for this medical procedure together with a sedative which might allow me to sleep.  I was hoping I would be “out” for the operation.  After that I met with an interviewer who asked me what I expected from the operation, and then told me what the hospital intended to do.  We were basically in agreement; however, she said they would not give me any guarantees for the end result.  I was then excused at 1:30 pm to spend the rest of the day and night at home.  I was to return, fasting, at 7:30 am on Tuesday.  I should not plan on my operation being until late in the morning or early in the afternoon because I was not diabetic and could fast for a longer period of time.  She was right, I went in the operating room at 1:30 pm.

After sitting in the waiting room watching Danish domestic news broadcasts for four hours, I was invited into my four person room and shown my bed and hospital clothes.  They gave me a pain pill and I was told to change my clothes and I would be next in line.  The curtains were drawn so I had my own private space where I could watch Danish or Swedish news broadcasts.  An hour later they wheeled my bed down the hall to the operating room.  This room looked like any hospital operating room I had seen in America.  I climbed up on the operating table and they began preparations to spread my arms and legs out on comfortable racks where I was to be hooked up to a blood pressure monitor and intravenous antibiotic and sedative dispenser, but first I rolled over on my side so my anesthesiologist could administer the epidural.  I was surprised he was poking me so high up along my spine.  Just like being at the dentist, I began feeling the numbness.  Before my lower half was completely numb, they began working on me.  I asked if I was going to sleep.  They said I would be very relaxed.  If I slept at all during the next hour and a half, it could not have been for more than 10 – 15 minutes, but that was fine.  I was completely relaxed.  I could not feel anything below my waist and had the feeling that I didn’t care how long it took.  As long as they did it right, and didn’t miss anything, they could just keep on working.

The doctor gave me a report of the operation, and I was wheeled down to the recovery room.  An hour later, when I could move my toes and legs, I was taken to my room.  The timing was right, as Norma came to the room at the same time.  She had not been there all day because I knew I wouldn’t be finished before later in the afternoon, and for both of us to be waiting around was a waste of time.

Norma brought her lunch and I was served some Danish hospital food.  I felt completely fine, with no discomfort.  We played a little bit of Phase 10 while we waited for the doctor to come and clarify the operation.  The doctor said it was a very successful operation from her point of view.  It would take some time before we would know if the results were satisfactory.

As soon as the bleeding had slowed down enough to be safe, I was released to come home.  I came home this morning, Thursday at 11:00 am.  I feel fine and look forward to getting back to the Temple; however, the President has banned us from the Temple until next week.  I don’t know if we will obey, because no one with a valid Temple Recommend can be prevented from attending the Temple.

Enough of that.  Next week will be our Christmas Message.

We love you all,

Mom and Dad
Ældste og Søster Larsen  




1 comment:

  1. You were awake? I am so glad you were relaxed, but the thought gives me the heeby jeebies.
    Is sounds like the procedure went well & we are still praying for the best recovery.
    I am sure you could 'go' to the Temple, just not do your normal 'work', but please take it easy so you can heal properly.
    We love you & miss you,
    Love, Lissy & Ali

    ReplyDelete