 |
| Nyhavn - Old Seaman's Harbor |
 |
| Old Building Grouping |
We have waited for a Danish summer since we arrived
twenty-two months ago. It finally
arrived this week. We have
experienced a full week of intense sunshine and temperatures in the
seventies. It was so warm I was
sure the temperatures were in the nineties; however, we had some visitors to
the Temple from Saudi Arabia who felt chilled and needed a jacket. It’s all relative.
Our morning walks have increased both in frequency and
length. We decided to walk to
downtown and then to the harbor and take the harbor city bus boat on its route
up the canal. We didn’t want to be
restricted with things, so we didn’t take the camera or anything else that
would need to be carried. Of
course, walking through some unfamiliar side streets in the old town, we saw
some “picture perfect” sites. That
meant we would need to retrace our steps another day with the camera.
 |
| Old Street Near the City Hall |
While out on an errand one day, a few months ago, I stopped
to visit the graves of Hans Christian Andersen, Søren Kierkegaard and Niels
Bohr. They are all three buried in
the same cemetery. It is about a
mile from where we live. I thought
a visit there would be of interest to Norma so we did that walk this week also. The very large cemetery is treated as a
park. It was as if the majority of
Copenhagen’s population was soaking up the first rays of the summer sun. There were sunbathers every place.
Another day I left Norma in the middle of some important
research and went to Birkerød to repeat some summer photography of the old
family farm area (for some reason my computer cannot find the originals of my
previous summer photos of Birkerød and Kajerød). I also wanted to take some photos of the present day route
from Kajerød to the Birkerød church as depicted in the 1880 painting we
discovered (previous blogs). I
wanted to discover the small lake or pond close to the old farm, and see if I
could find a hilltop to photograph the town with the church from a
distance. After walking for about
six kilometers I gave up. There
was no good place to look back and see the town. I did find the small lake.
 |
| View Through a Portal |
The Temple sessions this week were larger than usual. It was as though even the Temple
visitors were coming out of hibernation.
There were also three baptismal sessions. A week with baptismal activity is always a memorable
week. Especially when one of them
is a family baptismal session.
Time to quit while the sun is still shining.
 |
| Impressive Brickwork |
 |
| Old Street Near the City Hall |
 |
| Small lake by Kajerødgaard |
 |
| Kajerødgaard Today |
 |
| Not Original Kajerødgaard House |
 |
| Not Original Kajerødgaard House |
 |
| 1880 Painting of Pathway to Church |
 |
| Path Today - See Church Behind Tree |
 |
| Path Today |
 |
| Birkerød Church |
We Love you,
Mom and Dad
Ældste og Søster Larsen
I am glad that you got a Danish summer before you come home. Too bad it took 2 years to get it.
ReplyDeleteWe love & miss you,
Lis, Nathan, Toby & Ali